Monday, October 12, 2009

The First Draft That Ate New Jersey!!!

I was supposed to write a dramatic scene between a father and a son for my screenwriting class. They were suppose to be arguing about what the son wanted to do with his life. The father wanted him to join the family business but the son wanted to be a rock star. I was stuck and couldn't get myself to write anything but then my mom said, "Remember what Felicia Day told you? 'Be brave and write a bad first draft.'" So I said, "Okay fine. I'll write the worst draft possible!" And I did.

(Disclaimer: Felicia Day is not responsible in anyway for this abomination of a first draft.)

FADE IN:

INT. HOUSE

FATHER and SON are in the living room arguing.

SON
I told you dad. My band was caught selling coke to
school children but since we have such an awesome
sound we can’t get arrested in this town.

FATHER
Our police men are so corrupt. I remember seeing them
beat up a baby raccoon.

SON
That wasn’t a baby raccoon. It was a tiny person that
escaped from prison.

FATHER
He was a cute little bandit wasn’t?

SON
Sure… So are you going to let me borrow the car? We
really need it to smuggle some more cocaine in from
Canada.

FATHER
Canada? Canada sucks!

Son turns off the TV.

SON
Dad would you please listen to me!

FATHER
Turn Cops back on! You know that’s my favorite show.

SON
Dad please! I need you to let me commit a crime with
your car!

FATHER
I thought I told you to forget your rock star dreams!

SON
I always stop listening whenever you mention that so
technically I’ve never heard you say that.

FATHER
Your way out of line there buddy!

SON
No you’re out of line!

FATHER
Okay that’s it. I’m gonna blow up the house!

SON
I’m down with that.

Father blows out the pilot light on the stove and turns on the gas. Then Father lights a match and throws it on the floor of the kitchen.

FATHER
Okay here we go!

Father and Son both run out the front door as their itty bitty house blows up taking out the entire neighborhood with it.

FADE OUT:
THE END

No comments: